Monday, March 21, 2011

Building a tukul in Sudan


Today I joined the 700 club.  Not that one.  Today I helped move 700 mudbricks.  I have not gone into great detail about the construction of tukuls.  They are completely constructed of locally available materials (locally meaning in Sudan, or even in the Lakes State, but not necessarily in the vicinity).  There are wooden poles terminating in a Y (from the nearby bush) that go outside around the tukul and support the roof.  The roof is constructed using bamboo poles (I am unsure of their origin) and grasses (fairly local).  The walls are made of mudbrick.  Though there are certain impurities that enter the making, such as straw and grasses, there is no attempt to add anything but mud (unlike the Egyptian bricks).  I think a particular kind of mud is necessary, and you need water.  You also need something with which to cut the bricks, like a spade.  The bricks are cut in rectangular shape, with an attempt (and close approximation) of uniformity and then left to dry.  Often the place for cutting and drying bricks is far from your tukul, but when the Dinkas leave them, there is no concern that someone else will take them.  Everyone knows their bricks.  I estimate that the bricks weigh 2-3 kilograms each.  Therefore after the bricks are sun hardened, there is the issue of transporting them.   
        I realize that I am introducing a foreign element into the Dinka culture.  How have they moved those bricks in the past?  What is going to happen if someday we are not here and there is no one to help them?  I understand those concerns, but to me seeing someone in need and having the ability to help them and ignoring their need is to say to them “be warmed and be filled” (James 2:16).  I had arranged with Jackson Dut to help move some of his bricks after clinic.  Jackson is a good guy.  When I first moved here, I was trying to play some volleyball, and we became friends during that stage.  Later I found out that he is a teacher at Living Waters School.  I got the pickup and transported some things to the market for Abraham Maper and was looking for Jackson without success.  So Abraham suggested that we use that time to help transport his bricks (he had two hundred he needed to move to a tukul he is building in the market).  I agreed and we went to his stash of bricks, loaded them up and moved to the market.  As we were completing that task, Rose came to me to get help transporting the well repair team to Malual, her home.  I have put a temporary hold on well repairs until the community leaders uphold their role in the arrangements, but I cannot let principal stand in the way of Rose and her family having water.  So we loaded up the tools and headed to Malual.  I was helping repair the pump when we found a pipe that was disconnected (probably rusted through the threading).  That meant that we needed to return to the hospital, gather the spare pipes and return.  On the way, we met Jackson Dut.  So we gathered the pipes, picked Jackson, and returned to Malual.  We dropped the pipes and went to Jackson’s brick stash and collected his which amounted to 500. 
I have done a lot of mudbrick transporting, particularly this year.  I have had various roles in the loading and unloading of the bricks.  Often the majority of the help is from the little boys who just come and volunteer their services.  I have done a lot of the stacking of the bricks in the truck (you need to be somewhat compulsive if you are going to get a full load).  And I have done a lot of the toting (usually 3 at a time, which impresses the little boys).  But Jackson’s crew won the prize.  One guy was tossing the bricks and another would catch them and put them in place.  I was impressed.  I became one of the tossers during the unloading.  To get the 500 bricks in two loads, we needed to go higher than the pickup walls.  I did some neat pyramiding of the bricks to keep them stable.  We had one near fatality when one of the tossers decided to toss to my receiver just as I was in the motion.  I still had enough control to guide it away from him.  The brick did not even break.  It was a fun time.
I am sure some missiologists would disagree with my involvement in these activities, but I think I am on safe ground.  “Do you know what I have done to you?  You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you are right, for so I am.  If I then, the Lord and the Teacher, washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet” (John 13:12-14).  How will they know the love of Jesus unless we show them?  
- Dr. Clarke

No comments:

Post a Comment